Monday, July 21, 2014

Qt for small systems

Qt has gain a lot of features, but most of them are targeted for cpu/gpu's that are very powerful. I have been working on a small windowing system with Qt on linux framebuffer. I hope it will provide a way to fully us widgets again. The problem with the linuxfb plugin is that it doesn't work with popup windows etc. With a windowing system you can use it just like you could with the old QWS system. The plan is to do something with a very low footprint, making it useful on ~200Mhz systems with limited amount of ram. EDIT.. It seems like you can run Wayland on pure framebuffer , I have completely missed that progress. I will try it out , and if it works well with QtWayland , I will go with that. But the thing that I am writing is fun so I will continue it anyway ! :)

4 comments:

Ismael said...

You are describing Wayland.
http://qt-project.org/wiki/QtWayland

Michael Grunditz said...

Ismael, no wayland needs a gles backend.or something similar. I need something that can run on the framebuffer without any gpu hungry middlelayer. Mesa requires at least DRM, and even if you can do software rendering it would be completely unusable on s smal CPU.

Ismael said...

Wayland does not need any hardware acceleration and Weston already has backends for fbdev and KMS.
https://tecnocode.co.uk/2013/02/18/weston-frame-buffer-backend/

I can't say much about the QtWayland compositor, but I think it should work without EGL.

Michael Grunditz said...

Ok , must have overlooked that part of weston , or not following the progress enough :)

I will definitely try it..